Monday, February 2, 2009

The power of the Holy Ghost

Today I had a personal revelation. Eating healthier has been on my mind lately and as a Latter-Day Saint, following the Word of Wisdom more closely is becoming more important to me. I have been doing some research and came across a blog created specifically on this topic (see the Section 89 button on the left). After reading some of the articles on the blog I have been feeling overwhelmed in where to start and where to find recipes my kids will actually eat. It isn't like we don't eat healthy now, we do for the most part. I just know we can do better. So, this morning as I was driving to an appointment and thinking about this a thought came into my head; "Katie if you ask Heavenly Father for help, he will show you where to find these recipes and learn about foods". It was like I was clunked on the head with a hammer. That Holy Ghost is amazing. And just after that thought, I found myself singing one of our church primary songs. The amazing thing about this to me is that I didn't even think about singing this song and also didn't start singing this song from the beginning. All of a sudden I found myself humming the last part of the first verse and going right into the second verse which goes like this:

Pray, he is there;
Speak, he is listening.
You are his child;
His love now surrounds you.
He hears your prayer;
He loves the children.
Of such is the kingdom,
the kingdom of Heaven.

I know Heavenly Father is mindful and aware of each and every one of us. I am thankful for the gift of the Holy Ghost to help me in my times of finding understanding and I am thankful to be able to pray to my Heavenly Father.

In my quest for better food, I am going to plant my raised bed garden this spring. It will be very small since I don't have a lot of direct sunlight with all the trees around my house. My master gardener friend, Melisa, offered to help me do this. Now it doesn't feel quite so overwhelming.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah! I love it when people really commit themselves to eating healthy. When we went completely whole wheat/grain/brown in 2003 the kids didn't even flinch. We didn't give them any other options. Nathan said the other day that he had white bread at someone's house and it tasted like paper. I just laughed. Your kids will love the garden. Mine can't wait to water it and then love to harvest everything (here in NC we harvested the last of our carrots in November)! Yeah for eating healthy! Welcome to the dark side!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I am so excited for all of you and feel privileged to be part of your path to healthy eating!

    ReplyDelete