Monday, January 26, 2009

Sour Cream Black Walnut Coffee Cake

I should change the name of this recipe since we don't drink coffee. Maybe I should call it Sour Cream Walnut Anytime Cake. My mom made this for us on special occasions when I was growing up. My family now doesn't need a special occasion to make this yummy cake. We eat it for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. It is a fail proof recipe. We actually made it with the black walnuts once. However, we have found that regular walnuts are preferable to our taste so don't feel like you have to find the black walnuts. In fact, if you like other nuts better, try them out! I hope you enjoy!.
 

1/2 cup margarine or butter
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1 and 1/2 cups sour cream
2 cups flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/3 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp salt

Cream butter. Add eggs, sugar and vanilla. Beat until light. Add dry ingredients alternately with sour cream.

Topping:
1/3 cup sugar
1 T cinnamon
1/2 cup black walnuts.

Mix together. Put 1/2 batter in an ungreased angel cake pan. Cover with 1/2 of topping. Add rest of batter, then rest of topping. Run a knife through to marble. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes or until toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean.

2 comments:

  1. This looks delicious! I'm allergic to walnuts, so I'll be using pecan's, but I will for sure be making it. I just found your blog and I'm glad I did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've finally managed to get over here and do a little reading -- what fun! I LOVE Sadie's new quilt top and it looks like you're well on your way to becoming a hard-core knitter LOL! And I REALLY LOVE your sewing machine!!! We (meaning my mom) still have our oldest Viking from the 60's -- what a workhorse!

    ReplyDelete